Internships & Jobs
Do you love working with kids?
Are you passionate about connecting people to nature and empowering girls?
Do you want to take your skills to the next level and learn how to lead nature-based programs for girls?
Feet On The Earth is seeking Field Interns for our summer camps.
Field Intern Responsibilities and Expectations:
- Attend two-day staff training in early June.
- Work with a team of Mentors and Interns to collaboratively design and lead 1-5 weeks of summer day camps for girls ages 7-14.
- Each week participate in pre-camp planning meetings, daily debriefs and planning sessions after camp, and help with the family potluck and clean-up the last day of camp.
- Help guide inspiring and joyful activities for children based on the FOTE Mentoring curriculum of personal development, naturalist knowledge, earth-living skills, community building and environmental stewardship.
- Calmly and effectively help manage groups of children; gather and hold respectful attention while giving clear instructions.
- Uphold clear physical and behavioral safety guidelines empowering students to care for themselves, the Earth, and one another.
- Work as part of a collaborative staff that is committed to using conscious, respectful communication and participating in regular feedback sessions.
Desired Skills, Abilities, Behavioral Traits, and Attitudes:
- Passionate about FOTE’s mission.
- Desire to collaborate with a team and willingness to give and receive feedback, embrace personal responsibility, grow personally and professionally, and have a lot of fun.
- Previous experience with girls empowerment programs and/or mentoring youth in outdoor or nature-based programs using the 8 Shields Cultural Mentoring Model.
- Knowledge of local ecology, natural history and/or earth-living skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills coupled with creativity and flexibility.
- Strong communication skills with adults and children.
- Good organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks and roles patiently and
- An attitude of gratitude.
- Must be 18 or older.
- Comfortable being in nature in all weather conditions.
- Past experience working with youth.
- Current First Aid, CPR, and Standard Precaution certifications (for those volunteering longer than 1 week). Wilderness First Aid or higher level of training preferred.
- Ability to pass a background check with the State of Colorado (FOTE helps arrange and pay for this).
- Mentored experience working with girls in nature as part of an awesome learning community.
- Hands-on experience learning earth-living skills and applying the Eight Shields cultural mentoring model.
- Gain an understanding of girls’ development, their unique needs as they enter adolescence, and how to support and empower them through nature-based programs.
- Applied knowledge about building community and creating community-based rites of passage.
- Priority when we are hiring new staff (based on experience). We prefer to hire people who train and work with us!
Dates of commitment: June and July 2019
Visit the summer camp page on our website for camp dates and descriptions.
- Submit a resume, cover letter that tells us about who you are, your background and experience, and why you want to work with Feet on the Earth, and three professional references via email to email@example.com or postal mail to Feet On The Earth, P.O. Box 18302, Boulder, Colorado, 80308
- Questions regarding the position can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications accepted on a rolling basis
Want to become a mentor?
We value the fresh ideas and energy that new people with different experience bring to our organization. Most of the mentors who work in our programs have started as interns, even if they had previous experience doing nature-connection mentoring with children. We prefer to hire people we know and who know us, so qualified interns are the first place we look when hiring new staff.
However, we currently need male or non-binary identified mentors to work with our co-ed summer camps. If you have experience doing deep nature-connection mentoring with children, we invite you to send a resume, a cover letter that tells us about who you are, your background and experience, and why you want to work with Feet on the Earth, and contact information for three professional references .
Send resumes to: email@example.com or
Feet on the Earth Programs
PO Box 18302
Boulder, CO 80308
Feet On The Earth is an equal opportunity organization. Feet On The Earth does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender identity or expression, age, national origin (ancestry), physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. This Anti Discrimination Policy applies to, but is not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers, selection of Board Members, selection of vendors, and provision of services.